If you encounter dolphins and whales washed ashore, do you know how to help them?
PhD student Vu Long - who established the Vietnam Marine Animal Network, shared 6 necessary steps to primaryly rescue dolphins in a scientific way, ensuring safety for himself and animal health.
Picture 1 of How are dolphins washed ashore, first aid?
Two rescue workers rescue dolphins.(Photo: Storyful).
Accordingly, the "field" rescue team needs 6 people in charge of the work:
- Protect the breathing hole (on the top of the head) and the eyes of the animal, not allowing water and foreign objects such as sandy soil to enter. Notice the direction of the dolphin eye towards the sea, avoiding the crowds causing stress.
- Water to keep the dolphins skin moist or dig holes in the sand, use a portable pool containing dolphins, use a mattress / towel under the belly of the dolphin to support and reduce the gravity impact on the fins on both sides and internal organs.
- Control the curious crowd surrounding the weak and easily stressed fish.
- Determine whether the wound is open or not, contact a veterinarian, specialist nearby.
- Contact experts to quickly identify and determine the age of animals, from which there are solutions to provide appropriate nutrition (with older children can feed small fish, young children should only drink mixed water sugar, should not arbitrarily drink goat and cow milk.
- In the case of moving, do not hold the tail dragging the dolphins, do not grasp the 2 lateral fins to avoid long-term damage such as cartilage fracture, tail spine dislocation, shoulder dislocation . Should use a stretcher or put the animal on the plate Large blankets to move.
Note: the above rescue steps are only performed when the fish has been too weak, continuously washed ashore, unable to swim to the sea by itself.
How to know whales / whales die? Depending on the species and depending on age, dolphins and whales have a breathing cycle from 1 minute to 30 minutes. It is impossible to rely on the heartbeat alone but to determine whether the dolphin dies or not, sometimes the weak child will breathe softly and slowly . Notice the dolphin's breathing hole to determine the condition.