What do astronauts eat out of space?
Most foods when deposited into space will be dried, then undergo a process called re-hydration rehydration.
Food in the early days of humans entering space is a nightmare for astronauts. "It includes dry hard food like ice, dried flour, liquid food in tubes , " said John Glenn, the first American astronaut circling the Earth.
By the time of the launch of the Skylab space station in the 1970s, food was now more diverse.Astronauts can enjoy grape juice, roast beef, chicken and rice, beef bread and sugar cookies, orange juice, strawberries, asparagus, grilled ribs, rolls and butter pudding in space .
Most foods, when deposited in space, will be dried, then undergoing a process called re-hydration .Many foods like soup, pasta, eggs, and cereals are often processed in this way.
Next is the type of food that must undergo thermal stability (Thermostabilized) .Basically, the heating of this food often takes place in canned foods, or in screw bags.Chicken ala king, beef stir-fried mushrooms, pork are often processed dishes as above.
Spices such as tomato sauce, mustard and mayonnaise are provided in the universe.Salt and pepper are processed in liquid form. In space, it is not possible to sprinkle these spices in granular form.The reason besides being able to float away, it also blocks the vents, contaminates the device or gets caught in astronauts' eyes, mouth and nose.
To have a balanced vitamin diet, calories, for a long time, astronauts are forced to eat specific rations.Nutrition experts initially assumed that if an astronaut missed a favorite dish, it could lead to obesity in space.But today, astronauts are choosing freely according to their preferences.
After 60-80 days in space, many astronauts said they began to lose appetite.This occurs due to disturbance within the body, causing metabolic processes to be affected.Also, no one likes to constantly have to eat canned food, even when on Earth.
Today, the menu for astronauts varies from country to country.If Russian astronauts have cheese, soup, meats and sauces, Americans have Pasta with meat sauce, Salad-Cocktail made from prawns, sliced bacon.Especially on Thanksgiving, there are mashed potatoes, smoked turkeys stuffed with corn with cranberry sauce.
During the Mid-Autumn Festival, Chinese astronauts enjoy dumplings from pork, Cung Bao chicken and rice flour marinated with a traditional herbal tea.With Japanese pilots, their daily menu is canned sushi, noodles, royal jelly and rice.
- You will be surprised to know what astronauts eat every day
- 10 interesting facts about astronauts' food
- China will let astronauts eat rice in space
- When astronauts fly into space, astronauts will be thinner
- America spends more on Russian rents to bring people to space
- Astronauts welcome the new year at the international space station
- Astronauts will fly to space by ordinary airports
- Vivid images of space astronauts
- ISS first picked up 4 female astronauts at the same time
- China announced three astronauts to take on the mission of walking into space
- Astronauts are about to step outside the space station
- Astronaut walking in space