A letter from a mother to Dr. Manny: " My son found a bug in the backyard. We went to identify it as a bloodsucking bug! Are they dangerous? Why are they dangerous? '
Blood-sucking bugs are blood-sucking insects that attack humans for food. They tend to bite around the mouth and the eye area on the face. These bugs transmit a dangerous disease called Chagas. Chagas are transmitted through the faeces of this beetle. Symptoms of the disease include diarrhea, rash or hives, nausea, fainting, shortness of breath and sometimes heart and kidney inflammation.
These bugs transmit a dangerous disease called Chagas.
If you or your child has been bitten by a bug, disinfect the bite area with soap and water . Remember, a single bite cannot lead to Chagas disease, but not washing the bite area can have serious consequences. Use anti-itch cream or Calamine if the bite continues to itch. If it swells, apply ice to the wound. Some people have a deadly allergic reaction to a bug bite. If you begin to have trouble breathing, see your doctor.
If you think the bite is infected, or if you detect signs of Chagas, see your doctor right away.
This type of stink bugs can be found in warm southern states. They are commonly found in Mexico and Central and South America. Blood-sucking bugs with Chagas disease are less likely to be found in the United States because of the warm climate.
The bugs hide in cracks in the house, places where cats and dogs sleep and near beds. They are looking for hosts, so animal and human sleeping places are the first choice for a bug.
Blood-sucking bugs have a conical head, thin, long antennae and very long legs. The bugs are shaped like tears and have yellow or red stripes.