Discovered an ancient centipede fossil 99 million years old
Archaeologists have discovered an ancient fossil species that has never been known before in Southeast Asia today . This arthropod even has fossils kept intact to an amazing extent.
The special fossil is defined as a centipede that has a length of 8.2mm, which is so well preserved that its very small body structures are retained under special conditions.
The image of the ancient centipede was found.
This allows scientists to identify this tiny arthropod that is a previously unknown species.
Using the tomography method, scientists built a digital 3D model of this multicenter animal, curled into an "S" shape inside the amber block.
This creature is thought to have 35 body rings and a fully developed sperm storage bag on its underside.
Today, centipedes are rich and diverse, with about 11,000 species identified and up to 80,000 species estimated to exist worldwide.
Evidence in fossil records suggests that the earliest millennium of this centipede is from 315 million to 299 million years ago, with some species nearly 2 meters long.
"Before our study, only four described polypine species were found from amber in Myanmar," said researcher Stoev.
The researchers have now named a new ancient centipede named Burmanopetalum cheapectatum .
- Prehistoric insects make you 'creepy'
- 10 animals make humans become extinct if revived
- 185 million year fossils of ancient organisms have 38 children
- Discovered the ancient bird lung intact after 120 million years
- Discover new 20cm centipede, swim and hunt underwater
- Fossil turtle nose fossil found 76 million years
- The marine fossil remains intact after 525 million years
- Japan discovered 70 million-year-old fossil turtle
- Fossil creatures 65 million years old
- Fossil turtle 33 million years of rare value worth more than 4,000 USD
- Discovered 6 species of dragon centipedes in China
- The largest centipedes on Earth