Paintings, street corners, boats, street vendors, villages . Saigon - Gia Dinh from the early 19th century are on display.
From January 3, at the National Archives Center II (Le Duan Street, District 1), the exhibition "Saigon from feudal cities to Western-style cities" was held.The space is recreated like an old French mansion, displaying about 200 documents including some woodblocks of the Nguyen dynasty, images of Saigon-Gia Dinh archives and collectors.
Many images of the life of residents in the 19th century are displayed next to maps, architectural works, documents . about ancient Saigon.One of the oldest images in the exhibition is a painting of Saigon on a pier under a boat in 1820 by US customs officer John White.
A painting of a Saigon neighborhood around the beginning of the 19th century, when the French colonialists did not attack.
Painting of the scene of the death of a tent at Gia Dinh exam school in the 19th century. This examination school today corresponds with the area of the Youth Cultural House on Pham Ngoc Thach Street (District 1).
In 1859, after taking Saigon, the French began planning the city, constructing many architectural works, villas, roads . Dong Khoi Street dating from the Nguyen Dynasty, is a road reserved for the king to go straight. from Gia Định citadel to Sài Gòn river. Later, the French planned to become one of the main roads of the city and was named Catinat road. Catinat road in 1864 still has the identity of indigenous people, but by the early 20th century, bearing French architecture. Outstanding works on the road such as theaters and hotels
Continental, the Grand Hotel .
A photograph of Thi Nghe canal in the 1960s of the 19th century with thatched cottage and small boat.When planning the city, the French restricted Saigon to surrounding Thi Nghe canal, Ben Nghe and Saigon river.This area corresponds to District 1 today.
Scenes on a boat landing in Ben Nghe canal in the 1960s of the 19th century.
Ferry of residents on the Saigon River in 1896.
The scene of living, trading and transportation on Nguyen Hue street in the late 19th century. The road was originally named Admiral Charner, originally it was a canal named Kinh Lon, which brought water from the Saigon River into Gia Dinh citadel.In 1887, the French filled the canal and renovated it into the present-day avenue.
Street vendors traded on Saigon streets in the late 19th century.
A Saigon family with a cottage and garden setting.
The scene of Saigon village market in the late 19th century.