The bones from the more than 40,000 remains of the dead are plague and war is present in every corner of Sedlec Ossuary church in the Czech Republic.
According to BBC, every corner of Sedlec Ossuary church in the Czech Republic is decorated with bones, from entrances, calyxs to hanging lamps. Therefore, this place is also called "Bone Church".
In 1278, a abbot came from Sedlec, 80km east of Prague, a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and brought some land from where Jesus was crucified. When he returned, he spread the soil along the cemetery of the local church. When rumors of holy land spread throughout the land, the cemetery became one of the most popular burial sites in the area.
During the 14th century, when the Black Death pandemic was caused by plague sweeping across Europe, nearly 30,000 Central European victims were buried there. The Hussite War, a series of campaign campaigns spanning 1419 to 1434 against the reformers in Bohemia, also destroyed Sedlec and the neighboring city of Kutná Hora. The attacks left more than 10,000 people dead and all rested at Sedlec cemetery.
In the 15th century, many skeletons were excavated to make a Gothic-style church. They were stacked into pyramids in a basement beneath the church and remained in their state until 1870, when a local woodworker was hired to create decorative figures from the skeletons.