From the River Thames, if you have a glimpse of the shadow of the Big Ben watch, you have really come to London. When the sun goes down, four reddish-brown dials are illuminated so anyone can see it even if it is miles away.
If there is a chance to travel to the UK in the coming time, Big Ben Clock Tower (now renamed Tower Elizabeth ) is a great destination that you should not ignore. In this article, let's take a look at some of the interesting things that you may have been somewhere in the book or on the Internet about the watch that is considered the pride of the people in the land of fog see. .
Big Ben clock tower
1. Big Ben clock tower is considered a symbol of England. This is the common name of Westminster Palace clock tower, in which Big Ben is the largest bell (weighs about 13.5 tons) among the 5 bells of the tower.
2. In June 2012, Big Ben was officially renamed the Tower of Elizabeth to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's reign. However, everyone is still known as Big Ben.
3. Big Ben was built in 1843 and completed in 1859. Before the Nazi aggression in World War II, Big Ben remained steadfast despite the damage on one side. Because of this, the watch is considered a symbol of victory for the British.
Big Ben is the pride of the British
4. Up to now, Big Ben is 157 years old, rings every 15 minutes and emits "flaking" sounds when he scores on time.
5. In 2015, Big Ben watches were found to be slow for 6 seconds. To fix this problem, engineers adjusted by adding or removing coins to make the pendulum work correctly.
6. Big Ben is tilted northwestward at an angle of 0.26 degrees. According to calculations, it takes about 10,000 years before Big Ben has the tilt of Pisa's leaning tower.
7. Big Ben stopped ringing for 2 years when World War I happened.
Elizabeth clock tower
8. Inside the Big Ben tower there is no elevator.Therefore, those who are allowed to enter Big Ben must walk on a staircase of 334 steps high.
9. It is estimated that if Big Ben is built at the present time, the cost will be about USD 222,000 (approximately VND 5 billion).
10. 4 sides of Big Ben watch are cleaned by experts every 5 years.
11. The bell of Big Ben watch is used as the BBC's official soundtrack on February 17, 1924.